8.16.2012

Summer, you @%$&#

I'm not a summer person.  I like pants, boots, sweaters and hats.  I really like boots.  When we living in the south, summer was that time of year that I packed a sweater in my purse to protect myself the onslaught of AC which threatened to freeze my fingers and make me shiver through movies.  The great northwest isn't AC country.  Rarely does anyone have it, including my apartment in Moscow, ID.  The Palouse actually cools down nicely at night.  Currently the pacific NW is experiencing our "summer".  But for us, its very easy.  Today it hit 93 degrees.  Personally, the AC in my car went out about 2 years ago and I've never had it fixed, my lab areas aren't AC'd because the air needs to not move when you're working with bacteria, and my house is 90+ years old.  Tonight might be a night that I sleep in the basement, the cool of the basement.
While I washed up the dishes that have been accumulating since monday (eeewie!) I came to the conclusion that cooking/eating the pork chops I had set out for dinner sounded very unappealing.  Thus I scrambled for something to make instead!

Claire's "Its too F'ing hot to cook dinner" Tuna Salad

psst, that's actually a picture of Chicken Salad made the same way, try it!
  • Two cans tuna (you're gonna want leftovers its better the next day)
  • Mayo (make your own, its worth it)
  • Grapes
  • Walnuts (or any other kind of nut you'd like)
  • Apple
  • Celery
  • Red onion
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder


Chop up the grapes, walnuts, apples, and celery in equal portions. Then finely chop the red onion, to taste.  Mix in the tuna, and then plop in some mayo.  Mix and salt and pepper to taste.  A little garlic powder and paprika add a little extra. Serve over lettuce.



No comments: