5.16.2008

The spoils of war

Its been a busy week. Since we last spoke I've gotten lots done. Nothing really important, I haven't replace the broken mirror or saved any animals but just the little things that make you feel like you really, just really are getting some where. Saturday was to be the neighborhood block party but it was canceled due to the threat of inclement weather. Bummer. This at least freed me up too work on the floor beds that where in dire need of attention. Weeding and new plantings did the trick. Fresh mulch arrived today to finish things off around the grass patch. The inclement weather, I hope you didn't forget about that, it came. The wind blew ALL sunday. Not joking. My freshly freed, from little white packages, tomatoes spent their first full day battling the wind.

They came through and are happily soaking in the sunshine on the back deck as we speak.

DB had his appointment on tuesday. We needed down to the Nashville to stake our claim to a comfy chair. You'd think that when you own a car that can only be serviced in one place that they'd have more seating for you, and all the other nut jobs who bought german auto's too. After spending most of my teenage years aboard the public metro I love a good wait, so to spent the afternoon knitting and drinking free starbucks until my bladder bursts is like old times. I was not disappointed. For starters there was a fellow who was slumped over his clutched briefcase snoring. If this wasn't a strange enough sight for you, another guy was giving me the "ewwwie" eyeball about every 10 minutes. The rich white kid next to me with rasta dreads followed closely by the two blond girls who fell out of MTV's The Hills. One who's pants were so tight she had to walk funny. Now I adopted DB, a lost orphaned MINI abandoned by his owner for a VOLKSWAGON. While at the BMW place I have to contend with brand new buyers. The kind of people who order their autos. I applied all of my charms and just about lunch time, the MINI guy snagged me and stuffed a loaner key into my hand and told me hit the road. I lunched, I shopped, I cookie-ed (lemon ice cookie). I returned to claim my little DB and go home. And back to work.

Thursday brought a new ID card and my new shoes!

Thanks to a big ankle sprain in the 7th grade I have a issue with supination. As I'm getting older I'm begin to get heal pain and well no one wants that. So in steps the "old lady" shoes. The Dansko's are a nice combination of old lady and cute that I can live with.

The final arrival of goodness this week, a little envelope in the mail, with chicken scratch handwriting. I made out my name and address, and the senders. MIKEY! The Hub has know him since he was 14, me since I was 15-ish. He went to high school and college with us. My spoils from a war zone.

The lapis I think will become a necklace, the bracelet is already on.

The rest of friday brings, five yards of bark, baby knitting for the some 4 pregnant women I know who are going to pop in the next two weeks, and the adult beverage of choice on spring evenings.

No comments: